Crispy and savory green onion pancakes are one of our my favourite Asian treats. I really really could eat these every day, the same applies for spring rolls, chicken saté or actually every asian dish… But let’s talk about these pancakes now.
There are a few basic ways of making green onion pancakes. Most of them use a dough to make the pancakes. But with a dough, there is a resting time, and you don’t want to wait to eat these addictively delicous green onion pancakes! So, this recipe uses a simple pancake batter. Just mix everything together and cook those pancakes!
These pancakes are great for a savory breakfast, an easy snack, and also perfect as a side dish with a soup or with this Asian noodle salad. Enjoy!
Asian green onion pancakes
Crispy Asian green onion pancakes. Served with a hoisin sesame dip these pancakes are a perfect snack or great side dish.
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6 green onions
- 1 red chili pepper
- 200 g flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 400 ml cold tap water
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Step 1 Heat a heavy skillet or sauté pan, without oil, over medium-high heat. Roast the sesame seeds for about 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Step 2 For the hoisin sesame dip, mix the hoisin sauce with the sesame oil.
- Step 3 Finely chop the green onions into small rings. Deseed the red chili and finely chop into little pieces
- Step 4 Mix the flour, cornstarch, egg, sesame seeds, 2/3 of the green onion, red chili, salt, and water until it forms a smooth batter.
- Step 5 Heat a heavy skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat with halve of the peanut oil. Scoop 4 cups of batter with a diameter of 8 cm in the pan. Cook for about 6 minutes on medium-high heat or until golden brown and cripsy. After 3 minutes, flip the pancake over with a spatula and cook for an additional 3 minutes on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Step 6 Serve with the hoisin sesame dip and garnish with the rest of the green onion. Enjoy!