The first time I ate grilled pineapple was at a barbecue place in Brasil. As in other South America countries, this was a typical “all you can eat meat” restaurant, however this place had, to my surprise, pineapple from the grill. It’s typical for Asado restaurants that the waiters walk around with a lot, yeah really a lot, of fresh grilled meat from the parrilla (grill). Not only can you eat your weight in different kind of grilled meats, here they also walked around with the most delicious grilled pineapple. When I had my first bite, I was hooked! I think I ate a whole pineapple that night!
Since Brasil is on the other side of the ocean, I’ve started making some of my favorites at home. And this cinnamon glazed grilled pinapple is the best! It’s so simple, only two ingredients, with pineapple and some cinnamon, but so good! In my opinion, pineapple doesn’t need sugar or honey to make it sweet, it is sweet enough already! Also, we consume (most of it unknowingly) enough sugar already each day, so why put some sugar on something that really doesn’t need it.
You can eat it with grilled meats, for dessert with some coconut cream, or turn you morning oatmeal into something tropical. Give it a try, I’m sure you will love it!
Cinnamon glazed grilled pineapple
Delicious grilled pineapple with a cinnamon glaze. Perfect side dish for a summery BBQ, a light dessert, or a tropical breakfast!
- 1 pineapple
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Step 1 Preheat the grill on high, or use the barbecue outside
- Step 2 Prepare the pineapple by cutting off both ends. Set the pineapple on it’s base, and remove the skin by slicing off the sides.
- Step 3 Cut the pineapple in 8-10 slices, around 1 cm thick
- Step 4 Lightly brush the pineapple with cinnamon.
- Step 5 Lower the grill heat to medium, put the pineapple slices on the grill, and grill turning once. If you like some more cinnamon, you can brush some more on it.
- Step 6 Grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until tender and golden. You want a caramelized surface on the pineapple, without turning it in to mush. If it is not browning, turn the heat up to medium-high and let it grill for another 30-60 seconds.
- Step 7 Serve as a side dish with grilled meats or serve with some coconut cream for a dessert. Enjoy!